Pages

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Strawberry Lemonade Cupcakes


I finally made cupcakes again! I feel like it's been such a long time. (I guess it has been a while.) I decided to experiment with a "doctored box" cake. I used a Duncan Hines Lemon Supreme as the base, and turned it into Strawberry Lemonade cupcakes with strawberry Jell-O. My opinion and more pictures under the cut...


I topped them with a basic lemon buttercream, which looked great, but was way too sweet and not nearly lemon-y enough. I'll have to try and find a way to remedy that next time--maybe lemon extract in addition to the lemon juice?

In the end, I actually wasn't too happy with how these turned out. They were moist and fluffy, and had a delightful pink color, which was good, but incredibly sweet! The frosting wasn't nearly tart enough to counteract the extreme sweetness of the cake. If I was going to make these again, I would probably use a lemon base from scratch so that I could control the sweetness--the strawberry Jell-O added A LOT of sugar, which is probably why they were so ridiculously sweet. I would also make the frosting more tart, as I mentioned above.

Final grade? I'd give them a C. They were not terrible, but there's so much room for improvement. Hey, at least they were adorable!

  

No comments:

Post a Comment