Pages

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Valentine's Day: Red Velvet Marble Cupcakes


I wanted to make something for Valentine's day that wasn't chocolate, and wasn't strawberry. I've never been a huge red velvet fan, but the idea of marbling red velvet with a plan buttermilk cake (the base for red velvet) was intriguing, and looked festive, so I tried it!

I found the recipe on Baking Bites, under her list of Valentine's treat ideas.

They didn't turn out too marbled, but that's probably just because I've never made marble cake before and didn't swirl them very well. The proportions were also weird, but I made a double batch, which skewed things a little.

The frosting is just a basic cream cheese base (as is traditional with red velvet), with pink food coloring and red nonpareils.


I hope your Valentine's Day was awesome! I ended up making pizza with my fiancée, and sharing the last two cupcakes at his place. Not exactly romantic, but still a lot of fun! He's a pro at making pizza--maybe I'll get him to do a guest post sometime.

No comments:

Post a Comment