Pages

Saturday, July 30, 2011

Peach Crisp!

Earlier this week, my dad bought a flat of perfect peaches from Costco. I promised I would find something to do with them, and today, I tried to surprise him and my mom with a peach crisp! Sadly, they came home before it was in the oven, but even without the surprise, it was amazingly tasty.


Read more for the recipe!

Simple Peach Crisp 
9x9 pan; serves 4-6 (or three, if you're my family)

6 ripe peaches
1 C quick cooking oats
4 T whole wheat flour (I used white whole wheat)
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 C packed brown sugar
4 T cold butter, cut into small pieces
1/4 C slivered almonds (optional)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Slice or chunk the peaches and spread in the bottom of the pan. If the peaches aren't perfectly ripe, add a little sugar. If the peaches are extra juicy, add a little cornstarch or pie enhancer. My brother-in-law loves ginger, so if I had been making this for him, I would have added some candied ginger to the peaches at this point.

Mix together the dry ingredients (oats, flour, salt, and brown sugar) in a medium bowl. Add the butter chunks, and rub into the dry mix. You could do this in a stand mixer, but I like getting my hands involved. When the butter is thoroughly mixed in and it looks like very sugary granola, stir in the almonds.

Sprinkle over the peaches so that it covers them evenly, as thickly as you like. You may have a little extra topping at the end depending on how much you put on. Bake for 20-30 minutes, until the topping is browned and looks crispy. Let the crisp cool a little before digging in!

I served it with sugar-free vanilla frozen yogurt because my family is on a diet, but it would be just as tasty with regular ice cream, or a cinnamon or ginger-infused pouring cream! The topping would also work well on apples, plums, or berries. Try changing up the nuts, too--I want to try it with apples, and use finely chopped walnuts instead of almonds.

The rest disappeared shortly.

No comments:

Post a Comment