Pages

Sunday, September 30, 2012

Dr. Who? A Skirt for a Friend

Even though my own personal style is starting to lean towards Gothic and Classic, I still love making Sweet things. So what am I supposed to do when the itch to make something cute and sweet comes up? Make something for someone else!

A good friend recently had a birthday, and since she's into both Lolita fashion and Dr. Who, I thought Aimee's adorable Dr. Who-themed fabric was perfect. I'm not too familiar with the show myself, so I couldn't tell you what the references actually are in the print, but it was too cute for me not to use.

"A Teaspoon and an Open Mind"
Continue for another picture, and a little bit of a Spoonflower review.
I made a matching double side bow headband to go with it. It has a half-elastic waist (I got a little too happy with the elastic, and it's a bit tight, but I'm sure she won't have any trouble with it) and a bow pin on the front.

Happy Birthday!
So far, I've been pretty happy with Spoonflower. The biggest issue I have is finding the perfect fabric for their prints. With the last two that I bought, I was a little disappointed in the color itself. Both the pirate print and the Dr. Who print were much darker in the pictures. I understand that some brightness will be lost, and it's very hard to get a true black, but it was a little disappointing. Luckily, both prints still looked great with more of a gray shade, but I will be picking and choosing prints carefully from now on.

The Dr. Who skirt is the regular Kona cotton, and it was not too bad. It has a nice weight, but it is not as smooth as the organic cotton sateen (I got the pirate print on that). Previously, I got the poplin, which has a nice smooth feel and good drape, but very thin.

Out of the three, my favorite so far is the organic cotton sateen, which is kind of too bad, since it's one of the more expensive choices. But the weight, print quality, and color transfer is definitely the best on it, and I would say it is the most appropriate for Lolita. I have one more Spoonflower print project planned, and will be getting it on the sateen. I'd like to try the twill sometime, too, but I don't think it will work for the next planned dress.

We're already starting to get geared up for Halloween, so it's time to start thinking about costumes! I don't know what I want to do yet, or if it will be Lolita-related or not. I guess we'll find out...

No comments:

Post a Comment