Tuesday, November 4, 2014
Sewing Project: Melisandre from Game of Thrones
For Halloween this year, I wanted to do something that was fairly mainstream, but still relevant to my interests, and still a legitimate cosplay. So I took the plunge and did my first television cosplay--Melisandre from Game of Thrones!
More pictures and construction notes under the cut.
I used Andrea Schewe's "unofficial official" Simplicity pattern, with some very minor modifications (raising the neckline, lengthening the skirt, and adding the edging to the sleeve lining). I searched for HOURS trying to find the perfect fabric online, and then ended up going with a lovely textured upholstery fabric from JoAnn's after all that. The sleeves are lined with the matte side of matching burgundy crepe-backed satin.
The pictures look very red, but it actually has a bit more of a purple tinge, making it closer to a true burgundy, and as similar to the character's season four dress as possible. The choker is the officially licensed Game of Thrones costume prop from Spirit Halloween (sold out now), and the wig is Dolluxe Cosplay Wigs "Melisandre" character wig.
I'm planning to wear it again for Wondercon and SDCC, so before then, I'll do a few fixes/tweaks to make it more accurate. This includes straightening the wig to waves rather than curls, restyling the braids at the top, and antiquing the choker to dull the shiny gold some.
This was such a fun cosplay to wear, especially for Halloween when a lot of people actually recognized that I was from Game of Thrones (even if they couldn't remember the character's name, oops). Maybe I'll do a new dress for her for next year, or try doing Sansa!